"These two words, nerd and geek, are frequently used interchangeably. However, this does a great disservice to all nerds and geeks who wear the badge of their respective anti-social lifestyle choice with pride. For this reason I feel that it is of the utmost importance that we correctly define the two terms.
Geek

A geek can best be defined as one who maintains an excessive fascination with a single thing or collection of things. I use the more general term thing only because there is a wide range of fascinations available which may qualified as geeky. Some have asserted that the object of obsession must be one that is not considered to be socially acceptable or commonly observed from the majority of inhabitants of any give society."

COURTESY OF WWW.HAPPYQUARK.COM

STEPHEN REDHEAD

STEPHEN REDHEAD
ANTI-HERO

Thursday, April 1, 2010

If you think this Geek/Nerd thing is a joke....

Then you obviously think that bullying is just a joke, too...



Everyday, thousands of students in school get harassed and ridiculed by classmates for being considered different and strange.  At a time where its an institution in modern society where we are developing our sense of pride within ourselves, as well as an understanding of the world around us, it's imperative that we become more encouraging of that instead of discouraging. When I was in high school, I was a pretty quiet kid.  I did my work and was on the Honor Roll for about 3 years, except the last year because I was basically hanging out and doing other things which had me lose focus. But as time went on, I was getting jumped by classmates for whatever reason, as well as joked on constantly.  I was popular as a person, had a couple of female admirers, but still had to go through these instances of disrespect. It really kind of messed with my emotions and had me think twice about my life and where I intended to go from that point. My parents weren't exactly the ones to help me for better understanding of myself in this case; they had their own problems around those times as well.  If it wasn't for my penchant for videogames, animation, and music, then I probably would've ended up lost, confused, and end up just like this girl in the video.  I thought that all I wanted was acceptance from others, when in reality, I needed acceptance from myself.


That's why I do the things that I do now.  There's many people who go through this type of turmoil on a regular basis, who don't have the same outlets of self-expression and confidence that I had in my possession. Some just need guidance in order to gain the strength to continue to live their lives throughout the nonsense.  Everybody has had humble beginnings throughout their time until they reached something extraordinary when they were capable of reaching that status.  It's up to us to help each other, because as we know, the so-called geeks and nerds that have been looked down upon for years in society and the media are the ones that make a lot of money and became ridiculously successful with a lifestyle that they can pass on to their families for generations, while others who were considered the "class clown" or "bully" were out working at Kinney's Shoes and JC Penny just trying to figure out their own lives. I mean, can you blame them? They were busy with disrupting yours instead of developing theirs. 


This is essentially what my "Steady Building" phrase is about.  I encourage you all that if someone asks you how were you doing today, you would reply "steady building".  It's ambiguous; you could be saying you're having a good time and nothing is going to stop you, or that you're not having the best of days but you're striving to make them better. We're all essentially a work in progress. Plus its a good way keep your business to yourself away from your stalkers, haha.  


Please be respectful to each other.  You have the power to inspire, so don't perspire.  Steady Building.

No comments:

Post a Comment