"These two words, nerd and geek, are frequently used interchangeably. However, this does a great disservice to all nerds and geeks who wear the badge of their respective anti-social lifestyle choice with pride. For this reason I feel that it is of the utmost importance that we correctly define the two terms.
Geek

A geek can best be defined as one who maintains an excessive fascination with a single thing or collection of things. I use the more general term thing only because there is a wide range of fascinations available which may qualified as geeky. Some have asserted that the object of obsession must be one that is not considered to be socially acceptable or commonly observed from the majority of inhabitants of any give society."

COURTESY OF WWW.HAPPYQUARK.COM

STEPHEN REDHEAD

STEPHEN REDHEAD
ANTI-HERO

Sunday, June 20, 2010

TOO MANY PEOPLE KNOW ME....

This past weekend was so interesting, and somewhat explains my life and how I get down.  Usually, I would go on a drinking binge out in the streets of Washington DC and just meet up with some nice lady friends for the win.   This past weekend was no exception. I took my homegirl out for a date at a cool Italian restaurant where we basically talked about the Lakers being the 2010 NBA Finals (Shouts to Ron Artest, the REAL MVP of Game 7), how we were the only black people in the place and can't even pronounce the food on the menu, and her hilariously high pitched voice that makes her standout as well as her beauty. After respectively dropping her off at her place, I went down to have a few more drinks in the city.  Around this part of town, a lot of people that I knew in college continue to work in the bars and restaurants as waitresses or bartenders.  This tells you what a Bachelors degree can get you in 2010 post-recession.  I ran into a spot that I never been before and noticed that I knew one of the waitresses, and invited her to hang with me after her shift at midnight. 

Now this is where it gets awkward...

As we're walking over to my favorite spot, she gets bombarded by a group of dudes that she knows and one dude in particular decides to strike a conversation with me.  You ever get caught in a situation where someone's talking to you like you're the best of friends and you have NO clue who he is?  As he was talking about everything random under the son like scholarships, Puerto Rico, and margaritas, I could only reply with "Yeah", "Right", and "That's whats up".  This conversation lasts for over 10 minutes and I'm internally calling for ol' girl to let us get the hell outta there.

Afterwards, I linked up with the homie "Marcus" and my homegirl "Nicole" (the names have been changed to protect the intoxicated).  These 2 are experienced bartenders on their own right, so when you're in a weekend situation with these two, expect to be twisted like nobody's business. We ended up in a hotel party on Pennsylvania Ave (a couple blocks away from the White House) where it was more of a kickback (meaning, I ain't paying no damn $20 to your spot? Niiiiice).  We were the only ones around in a $2000 rented hotel rooftop, stacked with every single type of liquor and mix you can imagine, flowers all over the floor, blue and red tinted lights, and a jacuzzi filled with rose petals. 


 This was like "Coming To America" on crack.  THERE WAS A PHONE IN THE BATHROOM, SON!! As we were enjoying ourselves, more guests came to arrive and what have we here? ANOTHER person that I vaguely know that knows me; a young woman that I met while doing a show.  She takes the time to talk to me about how she loved my work and wanted to do a drinking contest with me.  Much respect for the appreciation of my work, but I'm the designated driver, and I'm not gonna jump off the roof anytime soon.

After dropping everyone off, I came home after 5am, only to sleep for another 5 hours and wake up to head into Northeast DC for the "New Voices Talent Search" which features judges such as Antonio and Aaron Reid (LA Reid's sons) and the Simmons sisters (Angela & Vanessa).  The purpose was to search for new talent for a possible deal with Def Jam.   I didn't participate in this event (and probably wouldn't with a 20% hangover from last night), but I came to introduce myself to everyone since I knew the press rep. Shouts to Byrd for hooking me up! Everyone was real cool and laid back, and most of the performers were hot, and others were.....uhh....interesting.


Shouts to everyone that came out to the event and held it down.  It was a great experience to watch and see how industry professionals critique upcoming artists and their craft.  I can't wait till the world sees what I have in store! 

***P.S. Check out the new episode of "The Boondocks".  I'm at a LOSS FOR WORDS at this one.  A certain film director and producer is going to be really upset at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment